September 8, 2009

Happenstance

Surfing the waves [in the rain] is part of Mi Bucket List.

Oddly, I bumped into an article with the title '10 ways to be happier.' WTH am I doing there?

I'll share some that needs highlighting.

[By Gretchen Rubin]

1.
Don’t start with profundities.
When I began my Happiness Project, I realized pretty quickly that, rather than jumping in with lengthy daily meditation or answering deep questions of self-identity, I should start with the basics, like going to sleep at a decent hour and not letting myself get too hungry. Science backs this up; these two factors have a big impact on happiness.


Superman: Bulls eye!

2. Do let the sun go down on anger.
I had always scrupulously aired every irritation as soon as possible, to make sure I vented all bad feelings before bedtime. Studies show, however, that the notion of anger catharsis is poppycock. Expressing anger related to minor, fleeting annoyances just amplifies bad feelings, while not expressing anger often allows it to dissipate.

Superman: That's the KEY!? Should've known earlier. I'll be dismissing less stuff from now on. Or maybe starting next week.

9. Stop nagging. [Mom, listen to this.]

I knew my nagging wasn’t working particularly well, but I figured that if I stopped, my husband would never do a thing around the house. Wrong. If anything, more work got done. Plus, I got a surprisingly big happiness boost from quitting nagging. I hadn’t realized how shrewish and angry I had felt as a result of speaking like that. I replaced nagging with the following persuasive tools: wordless hints (for example, leaving a new lightbulb on the counter); using just one word (saying “Milk!” instead of talking on and on); not insisting that something be done on my schedule; and, most effective of all, doing a task myself. Why did I get to set the assignments?

Superman: Follow the one word rule, mother. Thank you.

For the full text: Prepare for a cute pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment